- Associated Press - Saturday, January 6, 2018

LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) - Investigators say combustible items placed too close to a wood stove ignited, causing a fire that resulted in the death of a Lake Charles woman and injuries to her daughter and grandson.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says investigators responded shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters found the body of 63-year-old Barbara Thomson in a bedroom. Thomson was visiting her daughter, Jennifer Melancon, who was transported to an area hospital for treatment of moderate-to-severe burns suffered while removing her 6- and 4-year-old sons from the home.

The older child was treated for minor burns.

Investigators say Melancon had filled the stove with wood before retiring Friday night. It is believed that extra wood pieces were placed too close to the stove and ignited.

The home had no working smoke alarms.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide