- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 26, 2018

BOSTON (AP) - A Brazilian woman has filed a federal lawsuit demanding the release of her 9-year-old son who’s being detained in Chicago after the two were separated at the border.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday says Lidia Karine Souza was released from detention on June 9 after arriving in the U.S. last month seeking asylum. Souza is now staying with family in Massachusetts, but her son remains detained.

The lawsuit says that because of paperwork the earliest the two will be reunited is late July. Souza’s lawyers say the delay is “unacceptable, unnecessary and unconstitutional.”

President Donald Trump signed an executive order last week ending the practice of separating migrant children from family members detained border, but many children remain separated.

The lawsuit was filed in Chicago.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide