- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 26, 2018

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The Latest on the city of Indianapolis‘ settlement with the family of an unarmed black man who was fatally shot last year by two police officers (all times local):

3:45 p.m.

The family of an unarmed black man fatally shot last year by two Indianapolis police officers is asking for privacy after settling their lawsuit with the city.

A statement released Tuesday by the Aaron Bailey family’s attorney says they are requesting privacy “as they continue to mourn the loss of their father and brother.”

The city of Indianapolis has agreed to pay $650,000 to settle the family’s federal lawsuit against the city and the two officers who fatally shot Bailey in June 2017 after he sped away from a traffic stop.



Bailey’s family says they hope the public takes part in public meetings about training officers on how to prevent confrontations with the public from escalating into fatal shootings.

Indianapolis has agreed to continue providing that training under the settlement.

__

11:49 a.m.

The city of Indianapolis has agreed to pay $650,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by the family of an unarmed black man fatally shot last year by police officers during a traffic stop.

A settlement agreement released Tuesday by Indianapolis‘ corporation counsel says the city has agreed to make that payment to attorneys for Aaron Bailey’s family.

The city also agreed to continue training officers on how to prevent confrontations from escalating “into the type of tragic loss of life” that occurred when the 45-year-old Bailey was fatally shot in June 2017.

Bailey’s family has agreed to drop their federal lawsuit against the city and two police officers. That suit contends Bailey posed no threat to the officers when they shot him after he sped away from a traffic stop.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide