- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 8, 2018

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A Rhode Island Superior Court judge has lifted her ban on reporters contacting jurors following The Providence Journal filing a lawsuit alleging the judge violated the First Amendment.

The Providence Journal reports Judge Netti Vogel lifted the ban in a new order on Monday. Vogel had previously said she doesn’t allow people to “contact my jurors.”

Vogel is presiding over the murder trial of Jorge DePina, who was convicted last month of killing his 10-year-old daughter.

A court administrator denied a second request from the Journal to release a list of the jurors. A court spokesman incorrectly said Vogel denied that request, but he later clarified it was actually denied by the Superior Court administrator.

The Journal’s lawsuit included a complaint about the list. It is set for a hearing Monday.



___

Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide