- Associated Press - Thursday, April 4, 2019

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - The Diocese of Des Moines has released the names of nine priests it says are credibly accused of sexually abusing children.

The Des Moines Register reports that a diocesan committee, which included local clergy, a police chief and a judge, investigated the allegations of abuse that spanned from 1940 to 1997.

All but two of the priests named are dead, and seven had already been tied to abuse allegations - including Albert Wilwerding, John Ryan, and Richard Wagner, who were all defrocked in 2003 after allegations against them were found credible.

Des Moines Bishop Richard Pates says he shares “the anger and frustration” over recent reports of abuse by clergy, and that he hopes the release of the list Thursday will facilitate healing.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide