- Associated Press - Friday, April 5, 2019

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Officials say the Port of Charleston, South Carolina, has set a monthly record for containers moving through its terminals, despite fears that cargo volumes would decrease because Asian shippers were believed to have sent their goods early amid tariffs threatened by President Donald Trump.

The Post and Courier reports that the port set the record last month. State Ports Authority CEO Jim Newsome said Thursday that the port handled the equivalent of more than 214,000 20-foot-long (6-meter-long) containers in March.

It’s a record for the month and the second-largest total ever. The port handled its all-time most cargo boxes with 217,035 in October.

Newsome was surprised. He predicted at least a 10% drop in cargo volumes two weeks ago. He says he thinks officials overestimated the impact of the trade tensions.

___

Information from: The Post and Courier, http://www.postandcourier.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide