- Associated Press - Monday, April 8, 2019

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Firefighters put out a small fire in the basement of the 124-year-old New Hampshire State Library building in Concord on Monday and said it was caused by an elevator motor that overheated.

Firefighters said the fire, which started after 9:30 a.m., produced a lot of smoke, but no one was hurt, and it was brought under control quickly.

Concord Deputy Fire Chief Aaron McIntire said there was no damage to the building or to the library’s collection. Built in 1895, and the library contains more than 500,000 items. There were old newspapers and magazines on the floor where the fire happened.

“It’s a large building with a lot of historical documents,” McIntire told WMUR-TV. “It’s a labyrinth of a building to kind of make your way through with all the books, so we sent a full response to it just because of the potential.”

The New Hampshire State Library’s website says it is the first state library in America. It was founded on Jan. 25, 1717.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide