- Associated Press - Sunday, December 15, 2019

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has canceled this week’s meeting of the Board of Public Works in which a proposed plan to add toll lanes to the Capital Beltway and Interstate 270 was expected to be addressed.

The Washington Post on Sunday reported the three-member board was expected to vote as early as Wednesday on the most recent changes proposed by the Republican governor.

The $9 billion plan calls for a public-private partnership to add new toll lanes to reduce traffic.

The newspaper reports Hogan needs the vote of fellow board member state Comptroller Peter Franchot. State Treasurer Nancy K. Kopp, who is the other board member, opposes the proposal.

Without the board’s approval, the state cannot start soliciting private companies to build and finance the project.



Franchot last week said he objected to recent changes.

The newspaper reports exchanges on Facebook between Hogan’s and Franchot’s offices revealed a growing feud. But Hogan spokesman Michael Ricci says the offices “continue to have good conversations.”

Ricci says the cancellation has “no connection” to the proposal.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide