- Associated Press - Friday, December 20, 2019

CHARLESTON, Ore. (AP) - An ice house near Coos Bay caught fire Friday and released ammonia that caused temporary evacuations.

KEZI-TV reports the ice house which provided ice for anglers in Charleston began burning and releasing ammonia at about 9 a.m. Friday.

By Friday afternoon authorities said ammonia was no longer detected in the area and a recommended evacuation had been lifted.

The Coos County Sheriff’s Office says the ice house was mostly destroyed.

First responders had to wait to fight the fire until a regional hazmat team arrived. Capt. Gabriel Fabrizio of the Coos Bay Sheriff’s office said Friday morning that southerly winds were expected to help push the ammonia out into the bay.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide