- Associated Press - Friday, December 20, 2019

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Authorities say a smoker has died in a house fire in which tanks of the oxygen the man used to help him breath exploded as crews tried to extinguish the blaze.

WDAF-TV reports that the man’s nephew woke up to the smell of smoke early Friday and couldn’t get to his uncle. Kansas City Fire Department Deputy Chief Jimmy Walker says there were multiple explosions from oxygen tanks that complicated the firefight.

When firefighters got inside, they found a man in his 60s dead. His name wasn’t immediately released. No firefighters were hurt, and an investigation is underway.

Walker says the house didn’t have working smoke detectors.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide