Socialism may be the chic belief among some progressive Democrats and independents. American voters, however, give a very tepid review of socialism according to new Fox News poll.
It found that only a quarter of registered U.S. voters them gave thumbs up to socialism — the economic ideology praised by Sen. Bernie Sanders, Vermont independent, and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat.
“Capitalism buries socialism,” said Fox News polling director Dana Blanton.
“Despite the prominence of socialistic ideas and policy proposals in recent weeks, Americans are favorable toward the merits of the capitalistic system. And they’re bullish on the state of the economy,” reported Republican pollster Daron Shaw, who conducted the poll with Democrat Chris Anderson.
Capitalism has more than twice the popularity of socialism, the poll found:
• 63 percent of U.S. voters say they are optimistic about the U.S. economy; 87 percent of Republicans, 50 percent of independents and 39 percent of Democrats agree.
• 57 percent overall have a favorable opinion of capitalism; 72 percent of Republicans, 46 percent of independents and 47 percent of Democrats agree.
• 40 percent overall say they are “on the way towards achieving the American Dream”; 43 percent of Republicans, 42 percent of independents and 36 percent of Democrats agree.;
• 38 percent overall say they have achieved the American Dream; 46 percent of Republicans, 25 percent of independents and 35 percent of Democrats agree.
• 25 percent overall have favorable opinion of socialism; 6 percent of Republicans, 25 percent of independents and 43 percent of Democrats agree.
Source: A Fox News poll of 1,004 registered U.S. voters conducted Feb. 10-12.