- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 9, 2019

John Daly withdrew from the 2019 Open Championship at Royal Portrush Golf Club after The R&A denied his request to use a golf cart at the major.

Daly says he has developed arthritis in his knee, which prevents him from walking 18 holes, but he can play a round if he has the cart. The PGA of America allowed him to have a cart, which is normally against the rules at pro events, to compete at the PGA Championship earlier this year.

Daly, 53, won the 1995 Open and therefore has an exemption to play in every Open until he’s 60. But he won’t be joining the field in Northern Ireland this year.

In a tweet last Saturday, Daly said he would “give it a shot” at the Open without the cart, before his decision to withdraw came Tuesday.

“As a proud Open Champion I know what the Open Championship represents and what a special tournament it is,” Daly wrote on Twitter. “I believe all who have earned the right to compete should be afforded that right to compete and give it their best shot.



“While I trust the R&A’s decision was made with good intentions, I could not disagree more with their conclusions.”

The Open, known in the U.S. as the British Open, is the pro golf season’s final major for the first time now that the PGA Championship has been moved to May. It will be contested July 18-21.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide