- Associated Press - Friday, September 20, 2019

BOSTON (AP) - The Massachusetts woman convicted of urging her boyfriend to kill himself via text messages has been denied early release.

The state Parole Board announced Friday it rejected Michelle Carter’s bid for release after serving about half her 15-month jail sentence. Carter appeared before the board Thursday.

Board members Sheila Dupre and Tonomey Coleman said in their brief decision that Carter “needs to further address” the factors that led to her actions. They didn’t elaborate.

Franklin Graham calls on nation to pray for Trump as impeachment effort gains speed
Nancy Pelosi's hostage video
Jonathan Turley, GOP witness, says he's received threats after impeachment testimony

They also wrote that they “remain troubled” that Carter not only encouraged Conrad Roy III to kill himself in 2014, but also actively prevented others from intervening. And they said her statements and actions before and after Roy’s death appeared “irrational and lacked sincerity.”

“Given subject’s behavior in facilitating victim’s death, release is not compatible with best interest of society,” the memo reads in part.

Eric Goldman, a lawyer for Roy’s family, says the board’s decision was “well-reasoned and correct.”

But Carter’s attorney, Joseph Cataldo, said the board’s decision appears to be based on the state Supreme Judicial court’s prior decision upholding his client’s conviction, which he argues was an “incorrect and dangerous” ruling.

Carter’s lawyers maintain her texts were constitutionally protected free speech, and they’ve appealed her conviction to the U.S. Supreme Court, which hasn’t decided whether it will take up the case yet.

“It is never in society’s best interest to incarcerate anyone for the content of their speech, especially if there’s no statute criminalizing such speech,” Cataldo said.

Carter was convicted in 2017 of involuntary manslaughter in the 2014 death of Roy, 18. She began serving her sentence in February in the Bristol County House of Corrections in Dartmouth.

The judge at the time determined that the then-17-year-old Carter caused Roy’s death when she ordered him in a phone call to get back in his carbon monoxide-filled truck that he’d parked in a Kmart parking lot.

The phone call wasn’t recorded, but the judge relied on a text Carter sent her friend in which she said she told Roy to get back in.

Carter’s case has garnered national attention and sparked legislative proposals in Massachusetts to criminalize suicide coercion.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide