- Associated Press - Monday, September 30, 2019

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The prosecutor for Indianapolis is going to stop pressing criminal charges against adults for possessing about one ounce or less of marijuana.

Acting Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears announced the new policy Monday, saying the office will focus on prosecuting violent crimes. He says the one-ounce level distinguishes between users and dealers, whom the office will continue prosecuting.

Mears says the office has dismissed about 80 percent of marijuana possession charges so far this year. Mears became acting prosecutor last week with Prosecutor Terry Curry’s resignation.


TOP STORIES
EXCLUSIVE: High-level, N.K. defector implores Trump to foment coup; tells president he's been duped
Rashida Tlaib deletes tweet blaming 'white supremacy' for New Jersey shooting
Student says teacher yanked 'Women for Trump' pin off chest, files police report: 'It's not OK'


A Democratic Party caucus Saturday will select Curry’s replacement. Tim Moriarty, a top aide to Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett, is challenging Mears.

Moriarty says he supports the marijuana policy change but that more drug abuse and mental health treatment is also needed.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide