- The Washington Times - Monday, September 9, 2019

Washington Mystics star Elena Delle Donne capped off the best regular season of her career with a feat no female player has ever achieved before.

Delle Donne became the first WNBA player to join the 50-40-90 club, meaning she finished a season shooting 50% or better overall, 40% or better from 3-point range and 90% or better from the free throw line.

Her 2019 numbers: 51.5% on field goals, 43% from deep and 97.4% on free throws. Those field goal and free throw percentages set career highs, and her 3-point rate was her highest mark since her rookie year.

Only eight NBA players have achieved this since the 3-point line was introduced to that league in the 1979-80 season. The “club” includes the likes of Larry Bird, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant.



Delle Donne received congratulatory messages from Wizards point guard John Wall and a few members of the 50-40-90 club.

The Mystics won their final six games of the season to secure the No. 1 seed in the WNBA playoffs. The playoffs begin Wednesday, but Washington has a double-bye and won’t begin its series until Sept. 17.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide