- Associated Press - Wednesday, August 26, 2020

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The city of New Orleans is suing the owners of a hotel that was under construction when it collapsed 10 months ago, killing three workers.

Mayor LaToya Cantrell’s office announced the lawsuit against the company known as 1031 Canal Development LLC, and its contractors, on Tuesday.

New Orleans news outlets report the suit was filed at the state’s civil district court.

City officials said 1031 Canal has failed to cover $12 million the city has spent thus far to respond to the collapse and ensure the unstable building did not imperil people and property in the area. A 1031 spokesman said the company had not seen the lawsuit and could not comment Wednesday.

The suit was filed after the last of three bodies was recovered from the building wreckage last week. The building was to have been a Hard Rock Hotel at the edge of the French Quarter.



“The Hard Rock building collapse not only damaged City property, including streets and infrastructure, it has required the City to divert and expend tremendous public resources for work necessary to respond to the collapse and its horrific consequences - at a cost of at least $12.3 million to taxpayers,” the city news release said.

The company has not commented.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide