- Associated Press - Wednesday, January 1, 2020

SCOTT, La. (AP) - The improper disposal of fireworks led to a New Year’s Day house fire in Scott, officials said.

First responders were called to a home shortly after midnight, Wednesday., KATC-TV reported. Fire and smoke were coming from the home’s roof by the time firefighters arrived, they made their way into the attic and quickly extinguished the flames.

All six of the people who were in the home were able to escape safely. Two pets were among the unharmed escapees.

Firefighters said an investigation into the incident revealed that the fire was accidental. Apparently, a resident discarded used fireworks in an outside plastic trash bin that was placed next to the home. The fireworks were still smoldering when discarded and eventually, flames spread to one of the home’s exterior walls before creeping into its attic.

The house sustained major damage to its attic and minor damage to a living area.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide