- The Washington Times - Thursday, March 19, 2020

Major League Soccer announced Thursday it will remain suspended longer than the 30 days it originally said in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control’s latest guidelines, but the league added it still intends to fit the whole 2020 season in.

The U.S.’s biggest soccer league announced on March 12 it was suspending games for 30 days, a time frame that would have run out April 10. The CDC recommended to not hold gatherings of more than 50 people for eight weeks in hopes of controlling the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by novel coronavirus.

The league said it is now targeting a May 10 return date.

“MLS remains focused on playing the entire 2020 season and is evaluating all options, including pushing back the end of the season and playing MLS Cup in December, as the league did prior to the 2019 season,” the league’s statement said. “The league is also identifying other available dates.”

The championship game was previously scheduled for Nov. 7.



The MLS season began Feb. 29, and all clubs played two of their 34 scheduled matches before the coronavirus pandemic shut down the league and all other major sports in the U.S.

D.C. United released its own statement:

“D.C. United continues to support the League and its most recent decision, as the health and safety of our supporters, players and staff remains our number one priority. We will continue to provide updates on rescheduled matches and the full season schedule as they become available and thank you for your support.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide