Afghan election commission orders recounts

British aid worker, Afghan colleagues kidnapped

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghanistan’s election commission has ordered a recount of votes in some areas for recent parliamentary elections, a senior official said Sunday, raising further concerns of misconduct and fraud during the polls.

Election commission Chairman Fazel Ahmad Manawi said recounts have been ordered in parts of at least seven provinces.

He said the number of places subject to recounts was expected to increase because not all results have been examined fully. He said the votes under question would be recounted under the supervision of his commission and the electoral complaints commission, along with national and international observers.

“We want to be very clear on the counting of these ballots,” he said.

The Sept. 18 elections were seen as a test of the Afghan government’s commitment to rooting out corruption.

The vote was the first since a presidential election last year that was nearly derailed by widespread ballot-box stuffing and tally manipulation. That poll led many Western powers to question whether they should be supporting the administration of President Hamid Karzai with military forces and funds.

About 2,500 candidates are vying for 249 parliamentary seats. Final results are not expected until late next month.

Election day was marred by rocket attacks and bombings at polling stations. At least 21 civilians and nine police officers were killed during the voting, according to the election commission and the Interior Ministry.

Observers said some people were able to wash off supposedly indelible ink used to mark fingers to prevent multiple voting. In some areas, poll workers let people use fake registration cards and allowed children to vote, according to the Free and Fair Election Foundation of Afghanistan, the main independent Afghan observer group.

Rear Adm. Greg Smith, a NATO spokesman, said violence this time was higher than in the previous poll, with 396 incidents compared with 281 before. He said part of the reason for the increased number of reported incidents was that NATO forces are more numerous in the country now and are in a better position to monitor the situation.

In the northeast, Afghan officials said a female British aid worker and three Afghan colleagues were kidnapped Sunday in Kunar province.

Kunar police Chief Khalilullah Zaiyi said police chased after the kidnappers and were engaged in a brief gunfight close to the site of the ambush before the men escaped. Provincial Gov. Sayed Fazeullah Wahidi said the British woman was working on international aid projects in the province.

Britain’s Foreign Office in London said it was investigating reports that a U.K. citizen had disappeared in Afghanistan, but it declined to provide further details.

“We can confirm that a British national is missing in Afghanistan. We are working with other international partners to urgently investigate these reports,” the ministry said in a statement.

The Briton and her Afghan colleagues are thought to have been captured following an attack on their convoy of two vehicles.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks