- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Roosevelt, unlike Obama, wasn’t a radical
President Obama’s speech in Osawatomie, Kan., this week was calculated to clothe him in the robes of Teddy Roosevelt, who had spoken at Osawatomie 101 years earlier, calling for a “New Nationalism” (“Obama invokes TR to push payroll-tax cuts,” Politics, Wednesday).
Mr. Obama’s theme was that he, like Roosevelt before him, wants social fairness. It’s true that Roosevelt was a progressive who championed graduated federal income and estate taxes, woman’s suffrage, and social insurance for the elderly and disabled. But Roosevelt was not a radical liberal hellbent on redistributing wealth at the cost of crippling the economy.
Mr. Obama should reflect on Roosevelt’s speech in Dallas on April 5, 1905: “When I say I believe in a square deal I do not mean to give every man the best hand. If the cards do not come to any man, or if they do come and he has not the power to play them, that’s his affair. All I mean is there shall be no crookedness in the dealing.”
CARL H. MIDDLETON
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare