- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
- U.N. Human Rights head accuses Israel of war crimes
- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
Christian victims of Ottoman genocide
Question of the Day
President Obama had promised to support the demand for a congressional resolution on the Armenian genocide (“Round two,” Geopolitics, Feb. 7). I have great empathy for the Armenians and the genocide they suffered in Asia Minor by the Ottoman Turks.
However, I feel strongly that reference to the genocide should also acknowledge the murder of many Christians, which numbered approximately 1.8 million Armenians, 1.7 million Greeks and 750,000 Syrians. These estimates were given at the 75th anniversary of the destruction of Smyrna in Washington, on Sunday, Sept. 7, 1997, an event I attended.
In 1918, then-U.S. Ambassador to Turkey Henry Morgenthau wrote: “The Armenians are not the only subject people in Turkey which have suffered from this policy of making Turkey exclusively the country of the Turks. The story which I have told about the Armenians I could also tell with certain modifications about the Greeks and the Syrians. Indeed, the Greeks were the first victims of this nationalizing idea.”
As long as America’s president - from whichever political party - refuses to recognize the vast slaughter of Christians in Asia Minor, nothing will ever be done. As of today, not only have the Turks refused to apologize for the carnage they perpetrated, they haven’t even acknowledged that it happened.
STELLA L. JATRAS
Camp Hill, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?