- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
MACKINNON: President’s incomplete report card
Proof of Obama’s oft-touted brilliance is wanting
Question of the Day
People who live in glass houses built at least in part from the largesse of political correctness and affirmative action should not throw stones. And yet, here we have Juan Williams doing just that as he follows in the deep footprints of the hundreds before him who have lobbed hackneyed, gratuitous and even hate-filled insults at Sarah Palin.
On a recent “Fox News Sunday” program, Mr. Williams was speaking about potential 2012 Republican presidential candidates when he said, “There is nobody out there except for Sarah Palin who could absolutely dominate the stage, and she can’t stand on the intellectual stage with Obama.” Really?
For more than two years now, every time someone I know socially or in the media has proclaimed Barack Obama to be “brilliant” or “the smartest president we have ever had,” I have implored them to tell me exactly what they base those definitive statements on. Once challenged, they either refuse to answer the question or fall back on the apparently unassailable fact that “he gives a great speech, went to Harvard and is articulate.”
OK, so the man who uses a teleprompter more than any other president in modern history and even needed one to give a speech to 7-year-olds at an elementary school is “brilliant and articulate” based on this oratory crutch. Fine. If that is the only arrow in their quiver of “Obama the Intellectual,” then I would normally maintain that their defense is sorely lacking. In this case, it appears to be all the available evidence.
Those like Juan Williams who ignorantly claim President Obama to be “brilliant” might have a better case to make if only he would release his IQ test, his SAT scores, his records from Occidental College or his records from Columbia University. Unfortunately for them, Mr. Obama refuses to do so. Why?
For decades now, the liberal intelligentsia has pompously and erroneously asserted that GOP presidents have been intellectually inferior to Democratic presidents. Aside from being blinded by ideological hate, what proof did they offer? Let’s look at recent history. Back in 2000 and 2004, the mainstream media, compromised “historians” and liberal pundits declared Vice President Al Gore much more intelligent than Gov. George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry much more intelligent than President George W. Bush.
Predictable to be sure, but wrong. Based on the very criterion used by the left, it turned out that Mr. Bush had equal or better grades than both Mr. Gore and Mr. Kerry. Oops.
Mr.Imus: “Well. What is his IQ?”
Mr. Beschloss: “Pardon?”
Mr.Imus: “What is his IQ?”
Mr. Beschloss: “Uh. I would say it’s probably - he’s probably the smartest guy ever to become president.”
Mr. Beschloss, like much of the left, clearly has no proof nor any shame.
Last year, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said we were a nation of “cowards” for not discussing race relations is a more open manner. I agree. Let’s.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
Get Breaking Alerts
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations