- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
KNIGHT: Clash for America’s soul
From battlefield to schoolyard, the left is marching to a sacrilegious drum
Question of the Day
Underneath headlines about Libya, the Japanese disaster and the Republicans’ dainty attempts to nip around the edges of our massive federal debt, the culture war is raging.
The left is lobbing nukes into the institution of marriage and the military. Obamacare is going forward, complete with funding for abortion and massive increases in the size of the already enormous Department of Health and Human Services. Defunding this increasingly unpopular power grab should be in every budget bill - but it’s not.
Using a combination of judicial activism, executive malfeasance and legislative cunning and counting on an anemic “defense” from the leaders of the “party of family values,” the left is advancing its cultural agenda with remarkable ease.
Despite no promised certification that lifting the military’s ban on homosexuality will harm readiness, recruiting or retention, President Obama’s Pentagon already has produced materials hatched in a theater of the absurd. As Washington Times correspondent Rowan Scarborough reports, Marine commanders will have to ponder, for example, what to do if two male Marines are seen kissing in a shopping mall.
Now there’s a scenario for building respect for the military among the nation’s youngsters.
Boy: “Look, mom, those Marines are, uh, making out right there in the food court! I’m not sure I want to be a Marine after all.”
Liberal mom: “Well, that’s a relief. I didn’t want you to be in the military anyway. All those guns give me the creeps. But why do you find this odd? Are you some kind of religious bigot? Honestly, we’re going to have to call your school and ask them to step up the tolerance training. You won’t even wear that nice polka-dot dress and the pumps I bought you.”
On the plus side, the House Armed Services subcommittee on personnel, chaired by Rep. Joe (“You lie”) Wilson, South Carolina Republican, will conduct a hearing on Friday with Clifford Stanley, undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, and Vice Adm. William Gortney, director of the joint staff, answering questions about how gutting the law will affect the troops. They will be expected to insist that it will have little impact, but they will be on the hot seat if House members pose some of the 25 pages of tough questions compiled by the Center for Military Readiness.
Meanwhile, the Obama administration has announced its refusal to defend in court the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which a liberal Massachusetts judge found unconstitutional. House Speaker John A. Boehner has questioned the “timing” of this dereliction of duty and has said the House will move to defend the law. Fine, but is there ever a good time to trash marriage and the law?
The national assault on Judeo-Christian morality mirrors what is going on in communities all over the country.
For example, the usual suspects at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) are intent on tearing down a banner in a Rhode Island high school that encourages good behavior.
Here’s the text of the banner, which has hung in Cranston High School West’s auditorium since 1963:
Our Heavenly Father,
Grant us each day the desire to do our best,
To grow mentally and morally as well as physically,
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By James A. Lyons Jr.
The president has shifted alliance from friend to enemy
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan