- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
COLE: Postal Service delivers bill of goods to taxpayers
Now a failing government agency is seeking its own bailout
Question of the Day
Though the concept of privatization of state assets remains mostly politically toxic in America, nations as far-flung as Germany and New Zealand have privatized parts of their postal services and seen increased productivity and profits. Japan has privatized Japan Post, the country's state-owned mail service - which also happens to be the world’s largest financial entity.Other nations are heading in the same direction. It’s time we did the same.
The USPS is a rare federal operation that actually sells a marketable good. The numbers, not to mention millions of Americans’ firsthand experiences with its service, indicate that it does this poorly.
Ryan L. Cole was a speechwriter in the George W. Bush administration at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line