- U.S. Army hails success with drone-shooting laser
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal paved for April
- India diplomat who touts women’s rights busted for $3 wage to nanny
- MSNBC host Ed Schultz paid $252K by unions in 2012-2013
- Korean War memorial ordered to take down Christian cross
- Billy Graham near death, ‘close to going home to be with the Lord’
- SeaTac, Wash.: City’s new $15 minimum wage heads to court
- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- U.S. drone faulted for killing 14 ‘innocent civilians’ at Yemen wedding
SANDS: Clutch at crunch time, Hou Yifan retains chess title
1. d4 e6 2. c4 Nf6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Nc3 Bb4 5. Qa4+ Nc6 6. e3 O-O 7. Bd2 dxc4 8. Bxc4 Bd6 9. Qc2 a6 10. a3 e5 11. dxe5 Nxe5 12. Nxe5 Bxe5 13. f4 Bxc3 14. Bxc3 Qe7 15. O-O Qxe3+ 16. Kh1 Qb6 17. f5 Bd7 18. Bb4 Rfe8 19. Rad1 Qc6 20. Qb3 Kh8 21. Rc1 Qb6 22. Bxf7 Re5 23. Bc3 Qxb3 24. Bxb3 Re3 25. Bc4 Rae8 26. Bd4 R3e7 27. Ba2 Re2 28. Bf7 R8e7 29. Bc4 R2e4 30. Bc5 Re8 31. Bf7 R8e5 32. Ba2 Bc6 33. Rg1 Re2 34. Bd4 Rxf5 35. Bc4 Rd2 36. Bc3 Ne4 37. Rge1 Ng3+ 38. hxg3 Rh5+ 0-1.
Amanov-Friedel, U.S. Chess League, November 2011
1. c4 Nf6 2. g3 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Bg2 Be7 5. O-O O-O 6. b3 c5 7. Bb2 Nc6 8. e3 b6 9. Nc3 Ba6 10. Qe2 Rc8 11. d3 Qd7 12. Rfd1 Rfd8 13. Rac1 h6 14. Ba1 d4 15. exd4 Nxd4 16. Nxd4 cxd4 17. Nb1 Re8 18. Bb2 e5 19. Nd2 Bd6 20. Qf1 Bb7 21. Re1 Bb4 22. Rcd1 Bxg2 23. Qxg2 Qf5 24. a3 Bxd2 25. Rxd2 Rcd8 26. h3 e4 27. dxe4 Nxe4 28. Rxd4 Ng5 29. Rxd8 Rxd8 30. f4 Nxh3+ 31. Kh2 Qh5 32. Qe2 Rd2 33. Qxd2 Ng5+ 34. Kg2 Qh3+ 0-1.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- U.S. Navy-China showdown: Chinese try to halt U.S. cruiser in international waters
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Obama birther theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- North Korea's official report on Jang Song Thaek
- Billy Graham near death, close to going home to be with the Lord
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- James Bond: The spy who is really an alcoholic
- Kim Jong-un consolidating power or losing grip on North Korea's military
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A conservative commentator and satirist takes on the worlds of politics and entertainment in pursuit of truth, justice and all things America.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow