- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
SANDS: Clutch at crunch time, Hou Yifan retains chess title
1. d4 e6 2. c4 Nf6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Nc3 Bb4 5. Qa4+ Nc6 6. e3 O-O 7. Bd2 dxc4 8. Bxc4 Bd6 9. Qc2 a6 10. a3 e5 11. dxe5 Nxe5 12. Nxe5 Bxe5 13. f4 Bxc3 14. Bxc3 Qe7 15. O-O Qxe3+ 16. Kh1 Qb6 17. f5 Bd7 18. Bb4 Rfe8 19. Rad1 Qc6 20. Qb3 Kh8 21. Rc1 Qb6 22. Bxf7 Re5 23. Bc3 Qxb3 24. Bxb3 Re3 25. Bc4 Rae8 26. Bd4 R3e7 27. Ba2 Re2 28. Bf7 R8e7 29. Bc4 R2e4 30. Bc5 Re8 31. Bf7 R8e5 32. Ba2 Bc6 33. Rg1 Re2 34. Bd4 Rxf5 35. Bc4 Rd2 36. Bc3 Ne4 37. Rge1 Ng3+ 38. hxg3 Rh5+ 0-1.
Amanov-Friedel, U.S. Chess League, November 2011
1. c4 Nf6 2. g3 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Bg2 Be7 5. O-O O-O 6. b3 c5 7. Bb2 Nc6 8. e3 b6 9. Nc3 Ba6 10. Qe2 Rc8 11. d3 Qd7 12. Rfd1 Rfd8 13. Rac1 h6 14. Ba1 d4 15. exd4 Nxd4 16. Nxd4 cxd4 17. Nb1 Re8 18. Bb2 e5 19. Nd2 Bd6 20. Qf1 Bb7 21. Re1 Bb4 22. Rcd1 Bxg2 23. Qxg2 Qf5 24. a3 Bxd2 25. Rxd2 Rcd8 26. h3 e4 27. dxe4 Nxe4 28. Rxd4 Ng5 29. Rxd8 Rxd8 30. f4 Nxh3+ 31. Kh2 Qh5 32. Qe2 Rd2 33. Qxd2 Ng5+ 34. Kg2 Qh3+ 0-1.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again