- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Virginia Tech, Old Dominion in discussions about future series
Question of the Day
Virginia Tech plays Austin Peay, an FCS school, in the second game of this season. It beat FCS power Appalachian State last year. In 2010, the Hokies hosted James Madison and were upset 21-16, playing just five days after a Labor Day loss to Boise State at FedEx Field.
NOTE:Tech picked up another verbal commitment for its already-impressive 2013 football recruiting class when Liberty-Bealeton defensive end Wyatt Teller pledged his services to the Hokies on Friday. The 6-foot-4, 264-pound Teller chose Tech over Virginia. He is rated a four-star prospect by the recruiting website Rivals.com.
Teller joins fellow four-star recruits Holland Fisher, a linebacker from Midlothian, Va., and Hodges, as well as five-star cornerback Kendall Fuller.
Virginia Tech now has 16 verbal commitments for the 2013 class.
Read more about the Hokies at TimesDispatch.com
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq