- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
- Feds tout nearly 200 arrests, $625K in seized cash in Texas border crackdown
Resale of the week: Updated Takoma Park charmer from 1920s
Question of the Day
Buyers looking to own a piece of history in Takoma Park will delight in the meticulously renovated and restored five-bedroom house at 7123 Sycamore Ave.
This Arts and Crafts-style home, built in the 1920s, is reminiscent of a bygone era, mixing Old World grace, style and charm with modern amenities. The colorful exterior features a large front porch, second-floor balcony and an inviting yellow door that enhances the natural landscape surrounding the home.
The home, on a .17-acre lot off Ethan Allen Avenue, is on the market for $1,290,000.
Inside, guests will find arched entryways and decorative moldings throughout the home. A large original wallpaper mural is near the foyer.
The hardwood floors have been refinished and gleam throughout the entire first level. The owners also restored the windows and fixtures in the home.
There are several cozy outdoor and indoor spaces for entertaining, including the living room. This room has a glass double-door entry with a stained-glass transom above it, a wall of built-ins and recessed lighting.
A smaller, less formal room nearby can be used as a den. It features a brick fireplace surrounded by built-in shelves and two windows.
The kitchen is an open, airy space complete with white cabinetry and professional-grade stainless steel appliances, including an oversized refrigerator with a bottom freezer and a stainless stove with a red front.
More splashes of red, including one of the pantry doors, provide accents in the kitchen, contrasting nicely against the white cabinets and counters.
While several strategically placed windows and doors ensure that plenty of natural sunshine lights the kitchen, recessed lights provide evening ambience.
The kitchen also contains a sizable breakfast area that works for formal or informal gatherings, and a long butler’s pantry with a wine cooler, a handy feature during dinner parties.
Glass double doors in the back of the kitchen open directly onto a wood deck in the yard. The low-maintenance yard offers a serene, parklike setting with professional landscaping and plenty of room for gardening or entertaining friends and family.
Back inside, a full bathroom with black tile flooring completes the home’s main level.
There are three bedrooms, including the master bedroom, on the first of two upper levels, where the hall and bedrooms feature hardwood flooring. A powder room off the hall has a pedestal sink, and the secondary bedrooms share a full bath.
The master bedroom includes a fireplace and recessed lighting. The sunny room also features glass double doors that open onto a covered balcony with a Southern flair that stretches across the front of the home. It’s an ideal spot for a couple of rocking chairs where owners can read the paper and have that first cup of coffee in the morning.
A sophisticated all-white master bath offers a retreat with tile floors, trendy light fixtures, a claw-foot tub, large shower and a double vanity.
The fourth bedroom and a full bath are found on the top level. This bright, spacious area is large enough for both a bedroom and a home office with built-ins. One of the highlights of this space is a door that opens onto a rooftop deck surrounded by railings, the perfect spot for stargazing or watching holiday fireworks.
There’s even more living space in this 4,100-square-foot home; the finished basement has the home’s fifth bedroom and a recreation room with Berber carpeting and cheery yellow walls.
The sale of the home includes a separately deeded quarter-acre lot.
Address: 7123 Sycamore Ave., Takoma Park, MD 20912
Community: Takoma Park
Homeowners association fee: None
Size: Approximately 4,100 square feet on a lot of .17 acres
Exterior features: Arts and Crafts-style renovated home, front porch, rooftop deck, balcony, patio, landscaped backyard, separately deeded lot
Interior features: Completely restored 1920s home with five bedrooms, 41/2 baths, open floor plan, arched entryways, large rooms, hardwood floors, restored windows and fixtures, custom built-ins, walk-in closet, Energy Star-rated stainless steel appliances, pantry, French doors, detailed molding, finished lower level with Berber carpeting
Amenities: Two fireplaces, soaking tub
Schools: Takoma Park Elementary, Briggs Takoma Park Middle, Blair High
Close by: Takoma Park Metro, Takoma Park Co-op, Old Town Takoma Park, library, community center, parks, shopping, dining
Open house: By appointment
Contact: Andy Werner Jr. of Re/Max Realty Group, 301/721-0000
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq