- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Resale of the week: 3-level Colonial with pool near American U.
Question of the Day
Whether you are searching for the perfect family home or a welcoming house where you can entertain crowds easily, the home at 3211 44th St. NW can meet those needs.
On the market for $1,595,000, this Wesley Heights home offers more than 4,200 square feet of finished living space.
Families who entertain often recognize the importance of traffic flow during a party. The main level of this home includes a variety of spaces where guests can gather, with wide doorways and easy access into each room. Across the back of the main level are French doors that open onto a deck that overlooks a tranquil garden, flagstone terraces and a heated in-ground swimming pool.
Entertaining in warm weather is particularly appealing even for non-swimming parties because the terraces and deck offer an expansive space surrounded by tall trees and bamboo for privacy. The turquoise swimming pool provides a focal point in warm weather and easily can be covered with a retractable cover when not in use.
The residence occupies the full depth of the lot between 44th Street and New Mexico Avenue and includes a private parking pad for two cars behind the yard. The fully fenced yard includes a gate that enables residents to reach their cars easily and to access shops and restaurants immediately across the street.
The home’s elegant front entrance has been professionally landscaped and includes a flagstone front walk that leads to the brick stoop and stairs. The home has been updated to match modern tastes, including windows added for natural light in every possible location. The front door has sidelights and a transom.
The front door opens onto a gracious foyer with ceramic tile flooring and elaborate shadow-box and crown molding. The home has been designed so the French doors to the deck, garden and swimming pool are visible from the foyer, which also allows light to flow throughout the main level.
The main level includes both a family room and a living room, the uses of which easily could be exchanged. The front room, currently being used as the family room, includes hardwood flooring, recessed lighting, crown molding and two tall windows surrounded by built-in bookcases and cabinets.
A powder room is adjacent to the family room. Double doors link the family room to the foyer. The main level includes double doors in several locations, allowing rooms to be closed off or left constantly open for light to flow among the spaces.
Across the foyer from the family room are the kitchen and breakfast area. The breakfast area has crown and chair-rail molding and two windows facing the front garden.
The renovated kitchen includes cork flooring, which is both environmentally friendly and soft underfoot. The kitchen has white cabinets, double windows above the sink, granite counters, recessed lighting and a glass door to the side yard. It also includes upgraded stainless steel appliances and an abundance of counter and cabinet space. The lower cabinets are designed with extra depth to provide additional storage space.
A swinging door links the kitchen with the formal dining room, which has hardwood flooring, crown molding, two side windows and a set of French doors that open onto the deck.
Wood double doors open from the dining room into the formal living room. A working fireplace is hidden behind the drywall in the living room and could be made available again for use. The living room has hardwood flooring, crown molding and two sets of French doors that open onto the deck.
A wet bar links the living room and the family room, also convenient for entertaining.
Upstairs, the master suite has a painted hardwood floor, a ceiling fan and tall windows overlooking the garden and swimming pool. The generously sized bedroom has four double-door closets and a renovated full bath with marble flooring and a glass-enclosed shower.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq