- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Resale of the week: Custom 4-bedroom in Takoma Park
Question of the Day
A front-yard patio greets guests to a charming custom-built home on the market in Takoma Park. Situated in a parklike setting at 803 Houston Ave., the three-level home is on the market for $750,000.
Mature trees and landscaping surround the front and backyards of the home. The enchanting, private backyard features a slate patio for even more outdoor space to entertain or unwind.
Hardwood floors gleam throughout the main level, where generously sized rooms enjoy a steady stream of sunlight. In addition to a coat closet and wood staircase to the upper level, the foyer contains a cozy built-in bench seat with a small stained-glass window above it.
All of the rooms have recessed lights and detailed crown molding. The living room features wood blinds, shutters and decorative stained-glass window accents. This room offers an easy flow into the dining room behind it, followed by the more casual family room. The three rooms are separated by sets of wide archways with columns surrounded by built-in shelves.
A gas fireplace helps turn the open family room into a cozy place to retreat at the end of a long day. Several entryways and a large pass-through allow for easy access from the family room directly into the chef’s kitchen. Highlights in the sunny all-white kitchen include granite counters, a long center island with a breakfast bar and decorative shelves, and a desk.
A powder room with a large chestlike vanity rounds out the main level.
The upper level has three bedrooms. The master is the largest and has hardwood floors, while the remaining two have light-colored carpeting. A chandelier light fixture and recessed lights highlight the cathedral ceiling in the sun-drenched master suite.
The master bath has a double-sink vanity, white-tiled shower and a soaking tub set beneath pairs of windows, including two stained-glass windows.
Both of the remaining bedrooms have ceiling-fan light fixtures and multiple windows. They share a hall bath with a double sink and a tub.
The fourth bedroom is on the partially finished lower level. In addition to the bedroom and a recreation room, this level also features a large laundry room with built-in white cabinetry.
The property also features a detached carriage house, which has space for a car and a separate work space.
This home’s Takoma Park location offers a small-town feel with friendly neighbors, unique shops in historic Takoma Park and convenient access to the Takoma Park Metro station. Downtown Silver Spring is within a short drive.
Address: 803 Houston Ave., Takoma Park, MD 20912
Community: Takoma Park
TWT Video Picks
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Afghan who killed three U.S. Marines in 2012 to serve over 7-year prison sentence
- EDITORIAL: Obama's 'economic patriotism' means higher taxes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq