Continued from page 1

“The Turkish move and NATO’s support for it is a provocative move, part of psychological warfare against Syria,” Mr. Mekdad said, “but if they think this will affect our determination to fight the terrorists … they are wrong.”

He warned that any foreign military intervention against Syria will be “catastrophic,” with severe consequences.

NATO agreed earlier this week to send the weapons to prevent cross-border attacks against Turkey after mortar rounds and shells from Syria killed five Turks.

Germany’s Cabinet approved sending German Patriot air defense missiles to Turkey on Thursday. The decision must be endorsed by the German parliament, but approval is all but assured. The Dutch Cabinet is expected to announce approval Friday, contingent on parliamentary approval.

Mr. de Maiziere said the overall mission also was expected to include two batteries each from the Netherlands and the United States.

German officials stressed that the missiles will be used only to defend Turkish territory and would not be a part of any “no-fly zone” over Syrian territory.

“Nobody knows what such a regime is capable of, and that is why we are acting protectively here,” Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said.

Officials said the Patriots will be programmed so that they can intercept only Syrian weapons that cross into Turkish airspace. They aren’t allowed to penetrate Syrian territory pre-emptively. That means they would have no immediate effect on any Syrian government offensives — chemical or conventional — that remain strictly inside the country’s national borders.

Because of the complexity and size of the Patriot batteries — including their radars, command-and-control centers, communications and support facilities — they probably will have to travel by sea and won’t arrive in Turkey for another month, NATO officials said.

Violence in Syria, meanwhile, persisted. A booby-trapped car exploded outside the offices of the Red Crescent society in the al-Zahera neighborhood of Damascus, killing one person, according to state television.

A video posted online purporting to show the blast site showed rubble strewn about a residential street and walls and windows blown out of nearby three-story buildings.

The video appeared genuine and was in line with what state media reported. The Syrian government bars most journalists from working independently in the country.

It’s the latest in a series of bombings that have hit Damascus in recent weeks amid fierce fighting in the capital’s suburbs between Mr. Assad’s forces and rebels seeking to topple him.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the explosion was followed by a heavy deployment of security troops in the area on the southern edge of Damascus.

Associated Press writers Ben Hubbard in Beirut and David Rising in Berlin contributed to this report.