Wounded British journalist escapes from Syria

continued from page 1

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

The Observatory said armed rebels known as the Free Syrian Army killed five soldiers in overnight clashes in the southern town of Dael. The LCC said the FSA struck an army convoy with a roadside bomb in Tafas, causing “multiple casualties.”

The LCC and Avaaz said Mr. Conroy was smuggled over the border to Lebanon. Rima Fleihan, an LCC spokeswoman, said the Sunday Times photographer was smuggled out by Syrian army defectors.

Avaaz, which said it organized the evacuation with local Syrian activists, said 35 Syrians volunteered to help get the journalists out and bring aid in. Of those, 13 were killed. Avaaz said three were killed in government shelling while trying to help Mr. Conroy through the neighborhood and 10 others were killed trying to bring in aid while Mr. Conroy was on his way out on Sunday evening. It gave no information on Mr. Conroy’s journey Monday to cross the Lebanese border on Tuesday.

It said the remaining foreign journalists who had been stuck in the area with MR. Conroy “remain unaccounted for.”

Before the mistaken announcement that Ms. Bouvier was out, the LCC said other Western journalists were negotiating with the Syrian Arab Red Crescent to be allowed to leave Syria without having their videos and photos confiscated by authorities. Local activists accuse the group of collaborating with the Syrian government.

All the journalists killed and wounded in Homs were smuggled into Syria from Lebanon.

“I have spoken to Paul this morning, and he sounded in good spirits,” Mr. Conroy’s wife, Kate Conroy, said in a statement Monday. “The family are overjoyed and relieved that he is safe and look forward to getting him home.”

She told the Associated Press in a telephone interview that she wouldn’t comment further for fear of jeopardizing the safety of those still attempting to leave.

Mr. Conroy is 47 and a father of three.

Activists last week posted videos of Mr. Conroy and Ms. Bouvier pleading for help getting out.

Mr. Daniels, the French reporter, last was seen in an amateur video posted by activists last week, standing next to Ms. Bouvier, who was lying on a couch. He appeared uninjured. Ms. Bouvier works for Le Figaro.

Mr. Espinosa, who works for El Mundo, occasionally has been tweeting. His last tweet, sent Sunday, linked to a photo he said was from the Baba Amr neighborhood of blood pooled in a gutter.

Also believed still to be in Baba Amr are the bodies of Ms. Colvin and Mr. Ochlik, who were killed in the same attack that wounded Ms. Bouvier and Mr. Conroy.

Spain’s Foreign Ministry said it is trying to help to evacuate Mr. Espinosa. The newspaper said it does not know if he is injured and last spoke to him Monday.

In Beirut, a British Embassy official told the AP that London is working to repatriate Mr. Conroy.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks