- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Tuning in to TV: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have new series, toys
Toys R Us has begun selling a new line of toys and merchandise based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the pizza-loving amphibian superheroes who return Sept. 29 in a new CGI series on Nickelodeon.
This is the third series based on the characters, who started in comic books and then exploded in the late 1980s and early 1990s in cartoons, books and licensed merchandise. The first animated series based on the four crime-fighting characters, named after Renaissance artists, ran from 1987 to 1996.
The turtles returned in a live-action series in 1997 and 1998 but failed to regain their popularity.
Playmates Toys, the exclusive licensee for the new line, has created new action figures, vehicles, role-play items and play sets. Some hit shelves at Toys R Us this week while others will come in August (and all can be pre-ordered online).
Toys R Us promises bigger and better action figures this time. Among the new stock are exclusive special-edition versions of each turtle for $24.99. At 11 inches, they tower over the basic 4-inch ones and are individually sculpted for collectors’ tastes while their shells open for weapon storage.
Fans with even bigger budgets may go for the Secret Sewer Lair Playset at $119.99 — the priciest in the collection. It is 42 inches high, douses intruders with ooze, has a computer lab for Donatello, and an elevator to take figures between floors, among other Ninja features. The cheapest item in the line is the basic action figure priced at $8.99.
In 2009, Viacom’s Nickelodeon made a deal to license the property once again, which has led to the new CGI series of 26 episodes. Sister company Paramount Pictures is also working on a movie based on the characters, which won’t appear until at least 2014.
The premiere episode of the new CGI version will show the four reptile brothers — Leonardo (voiced by “American Pie’s” Jason Biggs), Raphael (Sean Astin of “Lord of the Rings”), Michelangelo (Greg Cipes of “Teen Titans Go!”), and Donatello (“Planet Sheen’s” Rob Paulsen) — surfacing from their hidden lair in the New York sewers for the first time.
Cee Lo Green postpones Vegas show for ‘The Voice’
Singer-songwriter Cee Lo Green said he’s postponing the opening of his semipermanent Las Vegas show because of his filming schedule for NBC’s “The Voice.”
The “Cee Lo Green Presents Loberace” show was set to launch Aug. 29 at the Planet Hollywood resort, but it’s now scheduled to start Feb. 27. Ticket buyers are eligible for refunds.
Mr. Green apologized for the postponement in a statement but said he has to keep commitments to the third season of the talent show.
The performer is most recently known for the Grammy-winning 2010 single “Forget You.” He said the 28-show Las Vegas run will feature showgirls, pyrotechnics and other over-the-top touches.
YouTube launches channel dedicated to Ramadan
YouTube has launched a dedicated channel for TV programming aimed at Middle East viewers during the period of Ramadan. The channel, youtube.com/ramadan, will screen more than 50 Ramadan series the same day they air on networks across the Middle East.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.