- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
U.S. keeps hands-off policy after a bloody day in Iraq
Al Qaeda vows to retake its positions
Question of the Day
The United States on Monday stood by its hands-off policy toward Iraq after more than 100 Iraqis died in a wave of 37 coordinated terrorist attacks across the country — the most intense assault since American forces left seven months ago.
The attacks came a day after al Qaeda threatened to launch a new blitz of violence, although no group claimed credit for the rash of suicide bombings and assaults on vehicle checkpoints, a military base and the homes of police officers in 15 Iraqi cities.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the Iraqi government chose to provide for its own defense when it refused to allow U.S. troops to stay in Iraq unless the Americans forces were subject to Iraqi criminal law.
“We made clear a year ago that we were open to a number of options,” Ms. Nuland said. “They picked the option that we are in, which is that they maintain security with advice and support as necessary.”
She added that the United States provides equipment and training to Iraqi forces and stands ready to provide additional support if requested.
The attacks, which wounded several hundred Iraqis, were launched on the third day of Ramadan, and they follow what has been a steady pattern of terrorist bombings that have plagued Iraq since the pullout of U.S. forces in December.
Analysts were quick to point the finger at Sunni Islamists operating under the banner of al Qaeda in Iraq after an audio message posted on the group’s website Sunday promised new attacks to regain strongholds where U.S. troops drove them out.
In a previous Internet posting, the group’s leader, Abu Bakir al Baghdadi, asserted that the majority of Iraq’s Sunni population “support al Qaeda and are waiting for its return.” The statement was apparently designed to underscore high tension that exists between the nation's Shiite-dominated government and Sunni political factions.
Anthony Cordesman, the leading Middle East analyst at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, described the attacks as “part of a pattern that has come from al Qaeda hard-line Sunni jihadists directed not toward the United States but at trying to split Iraq along sectarian lines.”
The violence has so far not succeeded in exploiting political divisions between Sunnis and Shiites in power, said Mr. Cordesman, who added that the attacks are more just “a sign that Iraq is still a violent country.”
His remarks echoed those of Hakim al-Zamili, a Shiite member of Iraqi parliament’s security and defense committee, who told reporters in Iraq that “al Qaeda is trying to send a message that it is still strong and can choose the time and places to attack.”
The extent to which the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq opened a window for such attacks to escalate remains a topic of debate in Washington.
“When the withdrawal was in full force, many people thought this meant the U.S. was handing things over to Iran,” said Joshua Foust, a fellow at the American Security Project, a nonpartisan think tank.
“But what we’re now seeing is that this is actually al Qaeda,” he said. “That points to a much deeper complexity.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Guy Taylor rejoined The Washington Times in 2011 as the State Department correspondent.
As a freelance journalist, Taylor’s work was supported by the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting and the Fund For Investigative Journalism, and his stories appeared in a variety publications, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch to Salon, Reason, Prospect Magazine of London, the Daily Star of Beirut, the ...
- State Department adds two to terrorist list, notes al Qaeda splits
- U.S. adds al Qaeda-linked Lebanon militant leader to global terrorist list
- Number of journalists kidnapped more than doubled in 2013: report
- China growing 'more concerned' about North Korea, former top U.S. diplomat says
- U.S. downplays Saudi prince's criticism of Obama's Middle East policies
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
- John McCain to Harry Reid: Ill kick the crap out of you
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Nobody likes to talk about dying. But we can help.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow