- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
- Congress sends sweeping defense bill to Obama
- Multiple injuries as balcony collapses at London’s Apollo theatre during performance
- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
Michael Jackson’s mother temporarily loses guardianship of late singer’s children
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES — A judge on Wednesday stepped into the turmoil roiling the Jackson family, appointing the son of Tito Jackson to serve as temporary guardian of Michael Jackson’s children in the absence of the family matriarch and in the midst a feud over the pop superstar’s estate.
Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff temporarily suspended Katherine Jackson as the children’s guardian because she is in Arizona and hadn’t spoken with them in several days. He appointed Tito Joe “TJ” Jackson to serve as temporary guardian with the ability to control the hilltop home where the children live and to take on other supervision duties.
Judge Beckloff said there was no evidence Mrs. Jackson had done anything wrong, but instead it appeared she was being prevented from fulfilling her role as guardian through the “intentional acts of third parties.” He didn’t elaborate.
He also said the children — Prince, Paris and Blanket — cannot be taken outside California without court approval.
The developments came after days of turmoil among the Jackson family that included a relative reporting Mrs. Jackson missing before she was located safely with other family members in Arizona and an altercation between relatives on Monday.
Jermaine Jackson has said his mother was following doctor’s orders to cut off communications with the children, who range in ages from 10 to 15. He didn’t provide further details.
In addition to concerns about the safety of the late singer’s children, some of Michael Jackson’s siblings recently have called on the executors of his estate to resign.
The estate, which recently reported it saw $475 million in gross earning since Jackson’s death in June 2009, has denied wrongdoing and called the accusations “false and defamatory.”
The Jackson children have remained at the home they share with their grandmother in suburban Calabasas amid questions about Mrs. Jackson’s whereabouts and why she hadn’t spoken with them since July 15.
Sheriff’s deputies were called to the house on Monday after two factions of the family were involved in a confrontation in the home’s driveway. The incident remains under investigation.
Judge Beckloff, who also oversees financial issues affecting Jackson’s estate, initially was reluctant to appoint a temporary guardian but changed his mind after hearing from several attorneys who expressed concern about the family’s problems.
TJ Jackson filed his petition under seal but appeared in court and was appointed temporary guardian after describing a “strange” conversation he had with Mrs. Jackson on Tuesday evening.
“I’ve never heard my grandmother talk like that,” he said reluctantly. “In every way. The sound in her voice. The pauses.”
He said some of her speech sounded slurred and she used words that made him wonder if she was speaking in code.
The children’s guardian ad litem, Margaret Lodise, said she spoke with the children and the two oldest, Prince and Paris, supported the appointment of a temporary guardian. Ms. Lodise did not ask the youngest son, 10-year-old Blanket, for his views.
Ms. Lodise is responsible for overseeing the children’s interests in the estate of their father.
Judge Beckloff ordered TJ Jackson’s attorney, Charles Shultz, to give notice of his ruling to two other potential guardians — singer Diana Ross and Debbie Rowe, who is the mother of the eldest Jackson children. Miss Ross was named in Michael Jackson’s 2002 will as a potential guardian if his mother was not able to serve.
“Debbie is watching the situation carefully, and wishing for Katherine’s speedy recovery,” her attorney Eric George wrote in an email.
Mr. Schultz said TJ Jackson didn’t want to replace Mrs. Jackson as permanent guardian. Still, the judge noted that TJ Jackson would have to petition to become the permanent guardian within 48 hours and added that such a petition might not be heard if Mrs. Jackson re-emerges.
Mr. Sanders said after the hearing that he had received word that she was returning to Los Angeles on Wednesday. He said he would seek her reinstatement as guardian after speaking with her and would fight any move to have her permanently replaced.
He said he met with Randy and Janet Jackson in Tucson, Ariz., on Tuesday, but he was not allowed to see his client. He said he still hoped the recent events were a misunderstanding, but he described the situation as “chaos.”
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
- EDITORIAL: Red faces at the White House
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- UHLER and FERRARA: Obamacare, the end of the progressive era
- Sebelius adds yet another exemption for Obamacare
- Breaking Bad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow