- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
SIMMONS: 1910 building law for D.C. is height of absurdity today
At this juncture, Mr. McDuffie has another leadership opportunity in the District becoming a national model for urban economic resurgence.
The planning commission is expected to report its recommendations in September, while the McDuffie measure proposes an unveiling in July.
Jumping ahead of federal planning decisions may leave the city short-handed.
At the very least, a persuasive argument should be made to push the due date on the Ward 5 plan until after the federal planners have delivered.
It’s impossible to know which, if any, height-limitation laws and zoning regulations are forthcoming.
What is certain, though, is the McDuffie panel should exploit them on behalf of D.C. stakeholders.
The sky’s the limit.
• Deborah Simmons can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: In D.C. budget battle, another who's-in-charge decision awaits
- SIMMONS: Food police are leaving your school kids unfed
- SIMMONS: Disinterest among voters hard for Republicans, independents to weather
- SIMMONS: Put adults in hot seat for system's failure, for Relisha's sake
- SIMMONS: City can't bear leaders' silence in missing girl case
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.