- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Virginia has high hopes for HOT lanes on the Beltway
Once the express lanes open, commuters can access them north of the Dulles Toll Road and south of Braddock Road.
There are no physical toll booths, so all vehicles except motorcycles are required to have an E-ZPass to use the lanes. Vehicles with three or more people need an E-ZPass that can indicate carpool status and will not be charged a toll, but vehicles with one or two passengers and two-axle trucks will have to pay.
The lanes will employ dynamic toll rates, which fluctuate based on traffic conditions, time of day and trip length. According to VDOT, the average trip will cost $3 to $6 during rush hours and $1 to $2 during nonrush hours.
If a vehicle does not have an E-ZPass, an overhead license plate identification system takes a photo and generates an invoice. Violations for having fewer than three people in a car start at $50 and can go up to $1,000 for multiple offenses.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.