- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Redskins have struggled against rookie QBs
Question of the Day
Sunday’s matchup against the Eagles, then, seems opportune for a Redskins defense looking to establish some momentum. That would start with an effective pass rush, which has eluded the Redskins in recent weeks.
“This guy’s just a pocket passer, so we can just pin our ears back and rush him and don’t have to worry too much about staying in our lanes and our dots and things like that,” outside linebacker Rob Jackson said.
But the Redskins, of all teams, must be wary of a rookie quarterback. They haven’t beaten one since a victory over Ryan Fitzpatrick and the St. Louis Rams in December 2005.
Washington’s eight-game losing streak against rookie quarterbacks is in the longest since 1950, when quarterbacks were first tracked, according to STATS.
Three of those losses have occurred since coach Mike Shanahan took over in 2010. Unfamiliarity with a rookie quarterback is problematic, Shanahan said. They have studied Foles extensively to try to help break the streak — and get the season back on a satisfactory course.
“You get a chance to go back into preseason, but you just really don’t know for sure,” Shanahan said. “We were lucky enough to have him for a week at the Senior Bowl; not that you know everything about him. He’s a great kid with a lot of ability.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors