- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Redskins have struggled against rookie QBs
Sunday’s matchup against the Eagles, then, seems opportune for a Redskins defense looking to establish some momentum. That would start with an effective pass rush, which has eluded the Redskins in recent weeks.
“This guy’s just a pocket passer, so we can just pin our ears back and rush him and don’t have to worry too much about staying in our lanes and our dots and things like that,” outside linebacker Rob Jackson said.
But the Redskins, of all teams, must be wary of a rookie quarterback. They haven’t beaten one since a victory over Ryan Fitzpatrick and the St. Louis Rams in December 2005.
Washington’s eight-game losing streak against rookie quarterbacks is in the longest since 1950, when quarterbacks were first tracked, according to STATS.
Three of those losses have occurred since coach Mike Shanahan took over in 2010. Unfamiliarity with a rookie quarterback is problematic, Shanahan said. They have studied Foles extensively to try to help break the streak — and get the season back on a satisfactory course.
“You get a chance to go back into preseason, but you just really don’t know for sure,” Shanahan said. “We were lucky enough to have him for a week at the Senior Bowl; not that you know everything about him. He’s a great kid with a lot of ability.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Easter symbolizes the freedom to choose eternal life
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.