- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
LAMBRO: Obama, America’s first hopeless candidate
With no progress to show, president still in contention
Question of the Day
President Reagan tightened loopholes in 1986 without ending any of the popular tax breaks that are often mentioned, and with the support of House and Senate Democrats to boot.
There is, however, something much more fundamental going on here than the shallow, biased, incomplete reporting on the nightly news programs. Gallup suggests that this may have more to do with plain old partisanship. An average of 90 percent of Democrats so far in October (and 8 percent of Republicans) approve of the job Mr. Obama is doing. That’s making his ratings one of “the most polarized Gallup has measured for any president.”
“President Obama gets near-universal approval from supporters of his own party and near-universal disapproval from supporters of the opposition party as he seeks re-election,” Gallup reported last week.
Democrats have invested a lot of political capital in the inexperienced community organizer from Chicago, and for the most part, they’re sticking with him through thick and thin — no matter how weak the economy becomes, how many people have fallen into poverty, homelessness or despair, or how deeply he plunges our government into unprecedented debt.
Inexplicably, Mr. Obama is running almost dead even in a campaign in which he offers no vision of the future for the next four years and proposes no new remedies to nurse America’s chronically weakening economy back to health.
He offers only politically soothing words of sympathy for millions who are still suffering from his impotent economic policies, victims who were among the middle-class voters for whom he voices so much compassion and concern.
What they really need is leadership with policies that create jobs, a healthy economy and a strong America. But he hasn’t a clue how to do that.
All Mr. Obama can offer now is extended unemployment benefits, food stamps, welfare checks and homeless shelters. Add to these plenty of comforting words and excuses for the next four years.
Donald Lambro is a syndicated columnist and former chief political correspondent for The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: How many boondoggles to break the bank?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The problem is unenforced borders
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where are condolences for Jewish teens' deaths?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama welcomes illegals, ignores Americans
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals