- MSNBC host Ed Schultz paid $252K from unions in 2012-2013
- Korean War memorial ordered to take down Christian cross
- Billy Graham near death, ‘close to going home to be with the Lord’
- SeaTac, Wash.: City’s new $15 minimum wage heads to court
- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- U.S. drone faulted for killing 14 ‘innocent civilians’ at Yemen wedding
- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
Donald, McIlroy want Ryder Cup to count for time
Mickelson also left his mark in the record book.
He set U.S. records for playing in the most Ryder Cups (nine) and in the most matches (38). But when Rose beat him, Mickelson set a U.S. record with his fifth loss in singles. Rose previously beat him in 2008. Mickelson also lost to Jose Maria Olazabal, Sergio Garcia and Phillip Price.
Tiger Woods, meanwhile, tied Raymond Floyd for the U.S. record for most losses in foursomes (eight).
He has taken special temporary membership for the rest of the season, meaning he can take unlimited sponsor exemptions. He already plans to play next week in the Frys.com Open at CordeValle.
Colsaerts has earned $494,386. He would need to earn the equivalent of No. 125 on the money list to earn his card for 2013. He’s about $100,000 behind the 125th spot.
Peter Hanson also took up temporary membership. He has $835,211 and is assured of having a full card for next year.
DIVOTS: Rory McIlroy received two replicas of the Wanamaker Trophy from his win at the PGA Championship. One of them was given to the Holywood Golf Course in Northern Ireland where he grew up. … Nicolas Colsaerts will hook up with the guy who first introduced power to this recent generation of players. Colsaerts and John Daly have received sponsor exemptions to the Frys.com Open next week at CordeValle in northern California. … Ian Poulter tied a European record with four points contributed as a captain’s pick. Lee Westwood also had four points at The K Club in 2006 when he went 3-0-2. … Francesco Molinari has played on two winning teams in the Ryder Cup without ever having won a match. He is 0-4-2.
STAT OF THE WEEK: Steve Stricker has never won a Ryder Cup match as a captain’s pick. He was 0-2-1 in 2008 and 0-4-0 in 2012. He qualified for the 2010 team at Wales and went 3-1-0.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Obama birther theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- Echoes of Cold War in Ukraine as Russia tries to rein in former Soviet satellites
- KEENE: James Clapper should resign for lying to Congress
- Kim Jong-un consolidating power or losing grip on North Korea's military
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- Broncos-Chargers game ends with several stabbings
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow