- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Resale of the week: 2-level penthouse in West End
While the District's West End may not be quite as well known as some of the city's neighborhoods, this section of Northwest Washington surrounds some of the priciest real estate.
Condominiums in several buildings are priced in the millions, in part because of the neighborhood's prime location within walking distance of some of the city's most vibrant communities.
Built four years ago, 22 West Residences, at 1177 22nd St. NW near M Street, established a high standard for the community as its distinctive angled glass walls rose above the street. This contemporary-style building, across the street from the Ritz-Carlton hotel, provides a splash of New York City-style glamour to the area.
Building amenities include a doorman, an elevator, 24-hour front-desk and concierge services, and porters to help residents with packages and luggage. Each home has a wall-mounted call station linked to the front desk and to security systems.
Residents can enjoy a dazzling rooftop swimming pool, a garden terrace with a grilling area, a sun deck, a party room and a fitness room. All of these common areas offer an uncommon, spectacular view of the city skyline. The building also allows pets.
Residents can walk from 22 West to shops, restaurants and nightlife in any direction, from Dupont Circle to Foggy Bottom and the Kennedy Center to Georgetown. The Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom Metro stations are within a three-block radius of the building.
One of this building's penthouse homes, unit 9H, is on the market for $1,775,000. This home's monthly condominium fee of $1,860 includes all utilities, wireless Internet service and DirecTV. The home comes with two assigned garage parking spaces and an assigned separate storage unit.
This two-level residence includes floor-to-ceiling windows, high ceilings and natural oak flooring throughout much of its space. The front door opens into a foyer with recessed lighting and a deep walk-in closet for coats and other storage.
Just beyond the foyer is the open living and dining room, which has a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows that flood the space with natural light.
The living and dining areas are open to the gourmet kitchen, which has a center island and breakfast bar. The kitchen includes its own floor-to-ceiling window, recessed and undercabinet lighting, granite counters, a mirrored backsplash and a decorative column. This room also has a built-in pantry and state-of-the-art stainless steel appliances, including a Bosch wall oven, cabinet-front dishwasher, microwave and four-burner cooktop, and a cabinet-front Sub-Zero refrigerator and two-door freezer.
The open living and dining area allows for easy entertaining. The living areas separate the home's two bedrooms for maximum privacy. At one end, the master suite includes a bedroom with a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows, recessed lighting and three walls of closets with built-in drawers, shelves and organizers. The master bath has black slate tile flooring, an oversized mirror and a mirrored wall, recessed lighting, two white marble sinks, a soaking tub and a shower with a glass door.
On the opposite side of the living area is the second bedroom, which has two floor-to-ceiling windows, a chandelier and a double-door closet with built-ins. The adjacent bath, located across the hall, has black slate tile flooring, a white marble sink, recessed lighting, an oversized mirror and a shower with a glass door.
The hall includes recessed lighting and a door to the laundry closet, which has built-in shelves and a full-size Bosch washer and dryer.
Natural oak stairs lead from the living and dining area to the upper level, which has a decorative column and a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows. The den has a door to a utility closet as well as a glass door that opens onto an expansive private roof terrace.
This terrace, which is nearly 520 square feet, offers a spectacular view of the District and the Virginia skyline and provides an elegant setting for entertaining or relaxing high above Washington Circle. It has evergreen planters, wired lighting and gas and water hookups.
Address: 1117 22nd St. NW, No. 9H, Washington, DC 20037
Community: 22 West Residences in West End
Age: Built in 2008
Size: Approximately 1,678 square feet
Taxes: $12,124 in 2010
Condominium association fee: $1,860 per month; includes all utilities, wireless Internet and DirecTV
Exterior features: Contemporary-style high-rise condominium building with angled glass walls
Interior features: Penthouse-level duplex with two bedrooms, a den, two full baths, kitchen with center island/breakfast bar, open living and dining room with wall of windows, laundry closet, oak floors, upper-level den with access to private roof terrace, two assigned garage parking spaces, one assigned storage space
Amenities: Elevator building with doorman, concierge, security, porter services, rooftop pool, garden terrace, sun deck, party room, fitness room; pets allowed
Close by: Walk to Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle Metro stations, walk to Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Kennedy Center and Foggy Bottom restaurants, shops and entertainment
Open house: By appointment
Contact: Realtor Patrick Chauvin of Washington Fine Properties at 202/256-9595 or visit www.washingtonfineproperties.com
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again