- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Samsung has reportedly tried to silence a customer in Canada whose Galaxy S4 caught fire while charging last week.

YouTube user Ghostlyrich posted a video showing his smartphone that had been destroyed due to it allegedly catching on fire, the Telegraph reported.

“The other night we plugged it in, and we like, were letting it charge — literally nothing different,” he says in the video. “And then the smell of smoke, fire and destruction.”

He then contacted Samsung to complain, but instead of receiving a replacement phone, he received a letter demanding he remove the YouTube video, several media outlets have reported.

“As a condition of exchanging the phone with a similar model, *** agrees to remove his YouTube video from the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc4duKuPrQ0 or any other link or statement relating to these matters and refrain from making other videos or statements about or relating to the matters set out herein,” Samsung said in the letter, according to The Telegraph.

Samsung’s letter also demanded that he not disclose the settlement details.

Ghostlyrich instead posted a second video exposing the letter, which has now attracted over 800,000 views.

Samsung has yet to publicly comment.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide