- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Inside the Beltway: Gun Appreciation Day
OK, mark the date, for it will surely spark an outcry in the gun-control community. A coalition of gun rights and conservative groups have declared Jan. 19 to be “Gun Appreciation Day” and are urging Americans nationwide to visit local gun ranges and purveyors to show support for the Second Amendment. Yes, the date falls two days before President Obama’s second inauguration, and yes, organizers say “Gun Appreciation Day” is expected to rival “Chick-fil-A Day” as a public statement of protest against government policies.
“The Obama administration has shown that it is more than willing to trample the Constitution to impose its dictates upon the American people,” says Larry Ward, president of Political Media Inc. and chairman of the event. “If the American people don’t fight back now, Obama will do to the Second Amendment what he has already done to the First with Obamacare. Gut it without a moment’s thought to our basic constitutional rights.”
Mr. Ward has support from Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation, Special Operations Speaks, Revolution PAC, Citizens and Country, Social Security Institute, Committee to Draft Judge Andrew Napolitano, Conservative Action Alerts, Women Warriors PAC and Conservative Action Fund, with more to come.
See their bodacious outreach here: gunappreciationday.com
“Seventy-seven percent of Americans say the way politics works in Washington these days is causing serious harm to the United States, providing still another indicator of the low esteem in which Americans hold their elected officials and the way the federal government works,” says Gallup director Frank Newport.
Gallup’s newest poll reveals a partisan divide in the partisan divide: 87 percent of Republicans agree that politics inflict harm, compared to 68 percent of Democrats. Meanwhile, more than half of the respondents say they are optimistic things will improve in the next decade, with 63 percent of Democrats agreeing. Fifty-six percent of Republicans, however, remain pessimistic.
NIXON’S STILL THE ONE
Richard’s Nixon’s 100th birthday would have been Wednesday; his centennial is being marked with much affection, and in grand style at a cheerful, sold-out gala in the nation’s capitol on Wednesday evening.
Heading to the glittering Grand Ballroom at the Mayflower Hotel — site of both of Mr. Nixon’s inaugural celebrations back in the day: Henry Kissinger, former first daughters Tricia Nixon Cox and Julie Nixon Eisenhower, Pat Buchanan, Ben Stein and Fred Malek, a former Nixon administration official.
The event can be viewed live at the Richard Nixon Foundation channel on YouTube beginning at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday.
PLANNED PARENTHOOD: REAL NUMBERS
$542 million: amount in taxpayer funding the Planned Parenthood Federation of America received as government grants, contracts and Medicaid reimbursements, representing 45 percent of its annual revenue.
$87.4 million: amount the organization retains in excess revenue.
$1.2 billion: amount the group has in net assets.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: Bodacious conservatives ready to rumble
- Bloomberg-backed protestors to rally at NRA national meeting
- Inside the Beltway: A presidential showcase for Mike Pence
- 10 state tour: Tea party bus rolls in the name of liberty - and the midterms
- Inside the Beltway: The Elizabeth Warren effect
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Gun control supporters send message to NRA
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014