- N.Y. prosecutors: Russian diplomats bilked $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
- Sarah Palin responds to Martin Bashir’s resignation, praises media
- Obama to send 2 Gitmo terror suspects back to Algeria
- Paul Walker secretly bought $9K wedding ring for Iraq vet
- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
MILLER: Eric Holder steals George Zimmerman’s gun
Attorney General Eric Holder has confiscated George Zimmerman’s gun. Even though Mr. Zimmerman was acquitted by a jury in the death of Trayvon Martin, the Justice Department on Thursday ordered the Sanford police to put a hold on the evidence from the trial, which includes the Kel Tek 9mm handgun.
It is not clear what federal law or legal procedure allows Mr. Holder to stop a police chief in Florida from returning a firearm to an innocent man.
The federal government has the power to infringe on Second Amendment rights only when a person falls into the categories of prohibited people, which includes felons, dangerously mentally ill and domestic abusers.
There is no reasonable cause for the Justice Department to hold the evidence, since it has already been examined, given a DNA test and used in trial. What more can the federal government find out from holding Mr. Zimmerman’s gun?
And the investigation that Mr. Holder is pursuing — whether this was a racially-based civil rights case — has nothing to do with the weapon used.
The attorney general’s insistence on finding some link to race is also unrelated to facts. The FBI, prosecutor, police and jury have all said that race played no role in the events of the night that Mr. Martin was killed.
Mr. Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, told ABC News that his client wears a protective vest in public and needs a gun to defend himself in aftermath of the controversial trial.
Asked about Mr. Zimmerman getting a weapon, the lawyer said, that there is “more reason now, isn’t there? There are a lot of people out there who actually hate him, though they shouldn’t.”
In his transparent effort to fan the flames of racial divide, Mr. Holder is stomping all over the Constitution.
The chief law enforcement officer in the nation should stop pursuing the Obama administration’s political agenda at the expense of an innocent man who was forced to take a life in self defense.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Obamacare disaster gets three-week PR blitz by White House
- MILLER: Black Friday gun sales sixth-highest in history but lower than 2012
- MILLER: Obama’s EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- MILLER: Chuck Schumer’s scam with 3D plastic guns
- MILLER: Adam Lanza shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown final report
Latest Blog Entries
Get Breaking Alerts
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- At minimum, a bad deal