- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Muslims on Twitter outraged over Obama’s Ramadan wishes
“‘I wish Muslims across America & around the world a month blessed with the joys of family, peace & understanding,’ —President Obama #Ramadan,” he said.
But some Muslims are thinking the president’s greeting was not so sincere.
“My mom just told me that Barack Obama wished all Muslims a happy Ramadan, I told her that maybe he should stop killing us too,” one user wrote.
Many of those criticizing the president had issue with the forced feeding of Guantanamo Bay detainees during Ramadan fasting, as well as drone strikes in the Middle East, calling him a “hypocrite” and “insincere,” Twitchy reported.
“I am assuming Obama’s greetings to Muslims wrt Ramadan are also directed at Muslims he will be force feeding at #GTMO during that month,” one user wrote.
“Obama wishing Muslims a happy Ramadan while he drone bombs them is like Hitler wishing Auschwitz a happy hanukkah #samedifference #ramadan,” another user said.
To mark the beginning of Ramadan, the human rights group Reprieve released a video in which rapper Mos Def submits himself to forced feeding. The Council On American-Islamic Relations has also called on the President to halt the practice.
“We believe it’s wrong to force feed at any time but it is particularly upsetting to do it through Ramadan,” CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper told The Guardian.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Devon Wills becomes first female to sign with Major League Lacrosse team
- Reno hospital gunman shoots 4, kills himself
- Georgia student suspended for a year after hugging teacher
- Seattle car dealership must pay customers $420K after Seahawks shutout
- 'Go USA': U.S. Olympic fundraising mittens made in China
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- IRS pays tax cheats hundreds of millions of dollars
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- Rush weighs in: Maybe Republicans dont dislike Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow