- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
House lawmakers split over U.S. involvement in Syria
Echoing concerns raised repeatedly by the White House during the past two years — that al-Qaeda-linked militants are operating among the Syrian opposition fighters — Mrs. Ros-Lehtinen added that “too many questions remain about who the rebels are.”
The risks, she said, are simply too great that weapons channeled into the conflict by Washington later could end up being “used against our allies such as Israel or even the United States in a post-Assad era.”
Mrs. Ros-Lehtinen’s remarks appeared almost tailored as a reaction to what has been growing bipartisan support for a measure introduced recently by the Foreign Affairs Committee’s top Democrat, Rep. Eliot L. Engel, of New York, who seeks to give the White House legal authority to arm the Syrian rebels.
⦁ Ashish Kumar Sen contributed to this report.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Guy Taylor is the National Security Team Leader at The Washington Times, overseeing the paper’s State Department, Pentagon and intelligence community coverage. He’s also a frequent guest on The McLaughlin Group and C-SPAN.
His series on political, economic and security developments in Mexico won a 2012 Virginia Press Association award.
Prior to rejoining The Times in 2011, his work was ...
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. fears Afghan services may be cut as corruption sharply reduces customs taxes
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz questions $175 million USAID 'slush fund' for Afghans
- Amid growing unrest, GOP presses for arming Ukraine
- John McCain blasts John Kerry in heated Senate hearing
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.