- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Inside the Beltway: Ventura likens political parties to gangs
“Here’s my big question. Since the government shut down, now let’s keep track of the number of days we shouldn’t have to pay taxes then, should we?” Mr. Ventura tellsLarry King — now host of “Politicking with Larry King” on RT, the Russian-based news channel — in a broadcast airing on Thursday night.
“If they shut the government down, we should lose our tax obligation because what are we paying for then?” Mr. Ventura declares. The former pro-wrestler also offers insight about his own presidential campaign.
“If I run, I will offer the people of the United States the first opportunity to elect a president who does not belong to a political party since George Washington. He is our only president who did not belong to a political party at all, and this will give the American people the opportunity to make history again,” Mr. Ventura adds.
“And we used to have multiple parties; we had the Whig, the Federalist,” Mr. King began.
“Why have any parties? They’re nothing but gangs. That’s all they are. I don’t belong to any of them. Elect a president that belongs to no political party. And I believe, Larry, that you could win off that alone,” Mr. Ventura said.
Yes, it is this bad: “Thirty-three percent of Americans cite dissatisfaction with government and elected representatives as the nation’s top issue, the highest such percentage in Gallup’s trend dating back to 1939,” reports Gallup director Frank Newport, upon analyzing the findings.
“Dysfunctional government now eclipses the economy (19 percent), unemployment (12 percent), the deficit (12 percent) and health care (12 percent) as the nation’s top problem.
SAY AMEN SOMEBODY
“Lord, when our federal shutdown delays payments of death benefits to the families of children dying on faraway battlefields, it’s time for our lawmakers to say, ‘Enough is enough.’ Cover our shame with the robe of your righteousness. Forgive us, reform us and make us whole. Amen.”
— Prayer before the U.S. Senate by Chaplain Barry Black on Wednesday.
Mr. Black — who is a retired rear admiral, former Navy chaplain and a Seventh-day Adventist minister — prays each day for the Senate and the nation. His words are now tracked by several news organizations. He intends to be nonpartisan and nonsectarian, but not apolitical.
“Prayer can be so otherworldly that it is of no earthly good. If I am truly a pastor, I think there is going to be a political element to my prayer, and hopefully not a partisan element,” the pastor told the New York Daily News.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: An agenda-free Easter
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.