- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
MILLER: Obama blames NRA for gun violence
Question of the Day
Once again, President Obama is exploiting the tragic deaths from a mass shooting to push his political agenda to control guns. This time, he escalates the rhetoric by blaming Second Amendment advocates for criminals’ acts.
After spending the day on the golf course Saturday, Mr. Obama spoke to the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation dinner about his priorities.
Referring to Monday’s tragic shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, along with the mass murders in Newtown and Aurora in 2012, Tucson in 2011 and shootings in Chicago, he said: “As long as there are those who fight to make it as easy as possible for dangerous people to get their hands on a gun, then we’ve got to work as hard as possible for the sake of our children. We’ve got to be ones who are willing to do more work to make it harder.”
So who is fighting to make it easy for criminals to get guns?
Of course he is referring to the 5 million members of the National Rifle Association. He did the same thing in April after his gun control agenda failed to get 60 votes in the Senate. In the Rose Garden, he blamed the lack of support on the “gun lobby” lying about the legislation, which “intimidated a lot of senators.”
Contrary to the president’s accusations, the NRA long has lobbied for better mental health treatment and strengthening the background check system.
Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s executive vice president and chief executive officer, said Sunday on NBC: “I’ll tell you what the NRA’s for: interdicting violent criminals, get them off the street; interdict people who are having mental problems, get them into treatment; enforce the federal gun laws. … Fix the mental health system, and let’s get our fiscal house in order so that we can stop releasing the bad guys back to the street.”
Mr. LaPierre also said of the Navy Yard killer: “Aaron Alexis goes through the federal and state check and gets cleared because the mental health system makes this person completely unrecognizable.”
Mr. Obama is pandering to his left-wing base. A Rasmussen poll on Thursday showed that only 33 percent of Americans think more gun control laws would have prevented the tragedy at the Navy Yard.
The president should be a uniter, not a divider. Mr. Obama should stop blaming the good guys for the actions of the bad guys just to score political points.
• Emily Miller is a senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times and author of “Emily Gets Her Gun” (Regnery, 2013).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Exclusive - Mark Witaschek takes the stand in D.C. shotgun shell trial
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens