- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Homeland Security adviser tweets America is ‘Islamic country’
Question of the Day
A leading adviser at the Department of Homeland Security has jumped from the frying pan into the fire, following up comments about the Constitution being “Islamically compliant” with an even more head-turning tweet — that America is an Islamic country.
In October, adviser Mohamed Elibiary sent out a Twitter message that said, “Yes, I do consider the United States of America an Islamic country with an Islamically compliant constitution. Move on!”
The tweet generated hundreds of retweets and comments. But, as Breitbart reported, Mr. Elibiary hasn’t backed off his assessment of America.
In a tweet over the weekend, he responded to another writer with this clarification, and doubling down of his earlier comments, Breitbart found: “I said America was an Islamic country not a Muslim country. Pls study up on the difference before attacking me.”
Breitbart also reported that the tweet seemed to have disappeared from Mr. Elibiary’s Twitter feed. And he still hasn’t clarified to the Investigative Project what he meant by the comment — given Census Bureau figures put the Muslim population in America compared to the world’s at less than’s .2 percent, Breitbart said.
But some — like Zuhdi Jasser, president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy — say his assessment of America just doesn’t fit and is pure spin.
“His entire attempt to repeatedly say that ‘America is Islamic’ is pure deception in the context of an Islamist ideologue like him who has not only never critiqued Islamism but rather continuously advocates for it,” Mr. Jasser said, Breitbart reported.
“In fact, it is not. American Islamists like Elibiary have consistently rejected debate with other anti-Islamist Muslims about the threat of Islamism and the way to separate Islam from Islamism. Why? If they lost that debate, his entire raison d’être inside the U.S. government ceases to exist,” he said.
Mr. Jasser also went on to say in Breitbart that “Islamism is incompatible with liberty and is a supremacist doctrine for which he deceptively argues is Islam the faith.”
Mr. Elibiary founded Lone Star Intelligence LLC, a security consulting company, and was appointed to President Obama’s Homeland Security Advisory Council in 2010.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- 'No American is proud' of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Planned Parenthood strikes 'pro-choice' label in favor of 'women's health'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world