- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
France’s budget cuts threaten to make foreign operations near ‘impossible’
Question of the Day
France is on the precipice of a dubious first: the inability to successfully conduct military operations abroad.
Members of the top brass in the French army, navy and air force — as well as its joint chief of staff — have threatened to quit if the government continues to slash the defense budget, the non-partisan think tank The Atlantic Council reported Friday.
France’s defense minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said that further cuts would render foreign operations “impossible,” The Atlantic Council reported.
The list of members who have threatened to quit last week include:
• Gen. Bertrand Ract-Madoux, who heads France’s army
• Adm. Bernard Rogel, who heads Frances navy
• Gen. Denis Mercier, who heads France’s air force
• Pierre de Villiers, France’s military chief of staff
France’s prime minister sought to quell the uproar on Friday, saying further cuts would not happen, the Associated Press reported. France currently spends roughly $43 billion a year on defense needs, but a five-year plan by its Finance Ministry would cut it to less than $40 billion.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Suspect in beating death of USC student lived in U.S. illegally 7 years, feds say
- China: PLA's next generation long-rang ballistic missile is here
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Army's upcoming tracer rounds will light up the night while leaving enemies in the dark
- German general assigned as U.S. Army Europe's new chief of staff
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors