- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
EDITORIAL: The intolerant left’s heckler’s veto on campus
Illiberal professors silence dissenting commencement speakers
Question of the Day
This must be commencement season on campus, because the heckler’s veto is back. When one of the nation’s most expensive colleges and universities invites the rare Republican to address the ceremonies, the rude and the thuggish are guaranteed to shout him out of the cloistered hall.
Condoleezza Rice bowed out as graduation speaker at Rutgers University amid protests by a small but noisy gaggle of intolerant leftist students and professors offended by the former secretary of state’s role in the Iraq war.
Miss Rice was as usual more gracious than her foes. “Commencement should be a time of joyous celebration for the graduates and their families,” she said, announcing her withdrawal. “Rutgers’ invitation to me to speak has become a distraction for the university community at this very special time.”
Noting her background as a professor at Stanford University, she said, “I understand and embrace the purpose of the commencement ceremony, and I am simply unwilling to detract from it in any way.”
To its credit, the New Jersey university had stood by its invitation to Miss Rice to speak at the May 18 event, not yielding to the demands to disinvite her from those whom Karl Rove called “little totalitarians on the left.”
There were no such intellectual heroics at Brandeis University, which withdrew an honorary degree for Ayaan Hirsi Ali, an inspiration to women everywhere and one of the most outspoken critics of militant Islamic abuse of women.
Miss Ali “is a compelling public figure and advocate for women’s rights, and we respect and appreciate her work to protect and defend the rights of women and girls throughout the world,” the Massachusetts school said. Respect and appreciation, just not very much. “We cannot overlook certain of her past statements that are inconsistent with Brandeis University’s core values.”
Smaller, less well-known schools are no less immune from the politically correct. Azusa Pacific University “postponed” a planned April 22 “conversation” with scholar Charles Murray. The president of the suburban Los Angeles school said that given how late it was in the semester “and the full record of Dr. Murray’s scholarship,” he “needed more time to prepare for the visit.” The “conversation” had been in the works for months.
Mr. Murray, author of the provocative and influential best-sellers “Losing Ground” and “The Bell Curve” — the latter explored the connection between race and IQ — responded in an open letter to Azusa students, saying he had been told by a faculty member that the school president and provost “were afraid of hurting our faculty and students of color.”
The Young America’s Foundation has been tracking the ideological imbalance of college commencement speakers for two decades. It hasn’t released its findings for 2014 yet, but last year’s survey found that of 79 ideologically identifiable speakers at the nation’s top 100 universities, 62 were liberal and 17 were conservatives. That was an improvement from 2012, but not much, when the ratio was 71 liberals to just 10 conservatives. That’s not education. That’s indoctrination.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Trump-Carson a 2016 dream ticket
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama fundraises as the world burns
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No U.S. support for Christian peril
- EDITORIAL: Gun-shy Obama
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'